Schezwan Sauce is a popular Indo-Chinese cuisine sauce prepared from red chillies and Szechuan Peppers which is typically used for Indo-Chinese cuisine or as dip. It has originated from the Szechuan Cuisine in Sichuan province in south-western China.
Preparation & Cooking Time: ~45 minutes
Serves: 360 ML
- 50 Whole Red Chillies (Dry)
- 2 Cups Hot Water
- 1/2 Cup Oil (Preferred Sesame Oil)
- 4 Tea-Spoon Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Tea-Spoon Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 20 Sichuan Peppercorn (Crushed or Ground)
- 6 Tea-Spoon Onion (Very Finely Chopped)
- 1 Cup Water
- 2-3 Tea-Spoon Sugar (As per the taste)
- 1.5-2 Tea-Spoon Salt (As per the taste)
- 1.5-2 Tea-Spoon Soya Sauce
- 1.5-2 Tea-Spoon Vinegar
- 1/2 Tea-Spoon Pepper Powder
- 1/2 Cup Celery (Chopped)
- 4 Tea-Spoon Tomato Sauce/Ketchup
- Deseed the Red Chillies & soak them in hot water for around 30 minutes
- Chop Onion, Ginger, and Garlic to the finest possible level.
- After the Red Chillies get soaked, blend them to fine paste. Add 1-2 tea-spoon of water in case needed.
- Heat oil in a pan, and give a quick fry to Garlic, Ginger, Sichuan Pepper, & Celery for around 2 minutes.
- Then add chopped onions to the pan & fry till they turn transparent.
Please note that you shouldn't fry Ginger-Garlic till it gets brown as it may lead to a bitter taste.
- Add Sugar, Salt, & Pepper powder to the chilli paste, stir it well, & saute it for the next 2 minutes.
- Then add a cup of water into the mixture & stir it well.
- Cover the pan & let the mixture cook in medium heat till the sauce turns thick.
- Then open the lid & allow it to cook, & keep stirring until the oil starts to separate.
- When you find the mixture leaving the sides of the pan, add soya sauce, Tomato Sauce/Ketchup & vinegar to it, and mix it well.
- Cook it for another 1-2 minutes. Taste it & add salt and/or vinegar in case required.
This delicious Sauce can be served with stuffs such as Idli, Dosa, Samosa, Kachori, Sandwiches, Rolls, Chaats, Bhel Puri, Sev Puri, Pav Bhaji, and so on.